10.08.2004

Politics

I am ready to introduce legislation for a holiday I call "Slap Day". On Slap Day, you can open-handed slap any politician who has done something to negatively impact your life. The bad part about this is there would be a waiting list to slap the president. My problem with politics is that we place all this responsiblity on one person and expect our communities to change without us actually doing anything. Then you factor in how people get elected. They need money to be seen and present their ideals. They get money from special interest groups...whose interests they represent. So by the time you see a politician they are basically tainted already. For example: Our last mayoral election, Charlie Dugger was running. I have met this brother and I'm familiar with what he does and the causes he's involved in. Because these causes are those of low income families he did not have a lot financial support. Needless to say while he was on the ballot he was not familiar enough to get elected. Politics need change, for instance if we sent our leaders to war instead of thousands of soldiers, I'm sure leaders would be alot more honest.

Another thing, if any one reads this and you are not registered to vote, when you do register as either a republican or democrat. I learned the hard way the the usage of the english language and the way it's applied vary heavily. I'm registered as an independent. One fine primary election day as I strolled to the polls ready to do my civic duty, a funny thing happened. I was told that I could not vote at THIS election. I inquired as to why and was told that for someone who is registered as an independet to vote there must be an independent candidate running. My first words were, "So as an independent I must depend on someone else in order to vote." Which is basically the case. [yet another reason why the english language is hard to learn.]
In my mind independent denotes someone or something that stands on it's own. When I registered I figured this would mean that I was not connected to any party. Unfortunately the reverse is true. Registering as an independent means I am more dependent than a democrat or republican. Ain't that a bitch.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"when you do register as either a republican or democrat. I learned the hard way..."

i've just been browsing your old stuff, from 2004. i didn't realise that in u.s. citizen's had to be registered as to what party you supported. we have an election coming up end of jan, and up here (canada), you as long as you are registered to vote (address, riding, etc. - but NOT what party affiliation), you can vote for whoever you want, and change it each and every election.

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home