10.26.2004

Mi nombre la guerra ingeniosa

In the often inexplicable, quite amazing, slightly unprecedented adventure that is my life; one of the most interesting things is my name.

Rahsaan Jamal Goldsboro

I often joke that my name is a war in the middle east. At the least it's fueding neighbors. Arabic first and middle, jewish last. My first name is a quest, I have been searching for the last 5 years for a definitive meaning and have been unsuccessful.

I'm not just joking about some of the tension around my name. Once I was to go on a tour of the F.B.I. and they called to speak with my aunt (who set it up) and questioned her about the gentleman with the arabic and jewish name.

I do know that my middle name means handsome or beautiful.

My name sakes are Rahsaan Roland Kirk (who died the 360 days before I was born, Dec. 5, 1977) and Ahmad Jamal, two great jazz artists.
Kirk changed his name after receiving instruction in a dream. He also began playing several horns at once because of a dream he had. I mostly just dream about vampires.

This was sent to me by a helpful stranger:
One place you can look is on the liner notes to Rahsaan's lp "Rahsaan Rahsaan", he speaks about the name Rahsaan and how it came about. This is the first lp where he added the name Rahsaan.

In the liner notes Rahsaan says: "The name Rahsaan deals with my religion, which is the religion of dreams and spirits. It is the motivating power of my life. Last year on the day before my birthday , I dreamed of a lot of people saying Rahsaan Rahsaan. "


I have been told by a Hebrew Israelite that my name means The Head. A Spanish lady says it means reason (that would be without the benefit of ever seeing it since reason in spanish is Razón.

Another interesting thing about my name is that for some reason most people can't pronounce it. I mean people who hear it. People with college degrees who read it. Family members. I won't go into all the wonderful spellings I've seen or the pronunciations. Most of the people who pronounce it right already knew someone with the same name.

So what everyone knows me by...most cannot spell or pronounce and no one knows what it means.

The following events all occured on my birthday, Nov. 29th, further confirming the middle eastern connection.

1947 UN Gen Assembly partitions Palestine between Arabs & Jews.

1978 UN observes "international day of solidarity with the Palestinian people," boycotted by US & about 20 other countries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home