5.14.2005

The Best Music to Live or Die to.


Sade is a goddess, worship her appropriatley. (Because it's her this is art...It's art I said.)

As a resident artist, emcee, lover and dreamer (yes I've been watching Manhattan Melodies) - music is a large part of my life. The following are some of my favorite songs listed by the feeling/circumstance they correspond with.


New Relationship:

Sade - Kiss of Life - This joint is a good begining song. You can dance to it, make love to it and any other thing with a new lady you want. "When I was led to you, I knew you were the one for me." Sade covers a lot of ground but this is a great spark it off song.

Tony Toni Tone - Just Me and You - Great nostalgia song. I'm not that old but this is one I need playing on the oldies station in about 20 - 30 years. It makes me think of when I was a little guy trying to get the girls (and failing). Plus association with Boyz N the Hood makes it a classic, C'mon Brandy!

The System - Don't Disturb this Groove - This was a song they used to play on those late night love request joints, but I had to steal it online just to find it. "Hang a sign upon the door...." Another great joint from when I was a young lad. If you don't know you better you ask.

School Boy Crush -

Troop - All I Do is Think of You - "I can wait to get to school each day and wait for you to pass my way". What more do I need to say? This was one of the ultimate I'm a get that girl songs.

New Edition - Cool It Now - "Every day I walk her home from school." How can I not include this on the list? I won't mention that me and my cousins used to do the scene from the video when everyone turns their heads to their name: Ronnie, Bobby, Ricky and Mike!

Shanice - I Love Your Smile - Yet another when I was young man song. It meant more to me then but I had to put it here.

Let's get with the Lovin'

Sade - Haunt Me - Now you can get down to a majority of Sade music but this is one of my favorites. This ain't a bang it out session song. It's more of a kissing all over type of joint.

Aaliyah - At Your Best - Now I love the Isley's but this was a remake that I truly loved. The beat is what really makes it a viable soundtrack for the horizontal bop.

Portishead - Glory Box - This joint is the perfect turn it up and do your thing song. I estimate that when the guitar rift hits you would want to be in the midst of a good grind, as well as on the drum break.

I'ma die cause she left -

Otis Redding - I've Got Dreams to Remember - This is a "God Dammit why did you do this woman - type of song. "I know you said he was just a friend but saw him kiss you again and again. These eyes of mine they don't fool me, why did he hold you so tenderly?"

Sade (you knew she was going to pop back up) I Never Thought I'd See the Day (I knew I'd need a miracle to make you stay) and Slow Bullet (just imagine a bullet slowly ripping through your body...I wish more emcees wrote like her) - Different types of songs but both allow you to curl up and die in a corner equally well.

Rolls Royce - Love Don't Live Here Anymore - No matter the remakes or who sings them, there is nothing like the original version of this song to remind you you're a loser.

Portishead - Nobody Loves Me - Not like you do, Nuff said.

Michael Jackson - She's Out of My Life - When you hear his ass wimpering in this song you know shorty was the one.

Sweetback - Hope She'll be Happier - For those who dont know Leroy Osbourne is a bad man and the only person I've ever seen or know of to back up Sade. This song makes me want to hear him shine some more.

I'm better off without her -

Ziggy Marley - There She Goes - It's funny that I used this to get over the girl who put me down with it. Best line- "All the days I wasted with you, if I counted be a million or two."

Nina Simone - You can have him (I don't want him) - When she breaks down the list of "all she ever wanted to do" you know dude is missing out. I'll just say to the ladies if you ever say you want to do the following for me you may never get rid of me: Run my fingers through his curly locks/Mend his underwear and don his socks/Fetch his slippers and remove his shoes/Wipe his glasses when he's read the news/Rub his forehead with a gentle touch/Mornings after when he's had a little too much/Kiss him gently when he cuddles near/And give him babies one for every year

John Waite - I aint Missing You at all - This song is kind of a lie but when he gets to the chorus you feel justified.

Depression Songs

Guns and Roses - November Rain - Despite the fact that Axl is an ass this was a great song, as were many of theirs. The long version makes me feel like I'm going through something.

Most of Portishead - What can I say, these cats make music that facilitates a melancholy mood.

Marvine Gaye - Sad Tomorrows - Perhaps I should put this in a section for drug addiction, but I want to sit and be sad when he trails of at the end "I did the best I could, nobody understood."

Ghetto Living

Sade - Clean Heart - This is like The Other Side of the Game (E. Badu) before it came out. It makes me think of good people I know who got caught up. "And as the moon slid up over the restless streets /Sirens mocking and people stop to see/ Their greedy eyes don't realize He's someone's son/ Finger on the trigger for the years to come."

Donny Hathaway - Little Ghetto Boy - This is a joint I think about at work. "All your young life You've seen such misery and pain The world is a cruel place to live and it ain't gonna change "
Gil Scott Heron - Living in a Bottle - "Preacher man tried to help her out, she cussed him out and hit him in the head with a bottle." Yup that's the hood.

Rick James - Ghetto Life - I forgot for a while that Rick James made alot of good songs. Thanks to Grand Theft Auto: Vice City's Soundtrack for reminding me.

Groove Theory - Come Home - This is (IMHO) one of the best please-get-out-of-the-streets-songs.

Unrequited Love

Groove Theory (remake)- Hello it's Me - Todd Rundgren made this and The Isley's remade it but I love the way Amel does this one. "Maybe I shouldn't think of you as mine".
The Temptations - Just my Imagination - It kills me when they go through the whole prayer abot not taking away her love only to come back and realize that he still doesn't even know her.
Lionel Richie - Hello & The Police - Every Breath You Take - now these are about unrequited love but they also double as Stalker theme songs. Good songs but as soon as the law changed they became suspect.

2 Comments:

Blogger NeenaLove said...

love the post!!! i'll be back often!! what if, at the end of our life, they had a soundtrack playing for EVERY part of your life? a lot of the songs you had up... would be playing in mine. LOL...

funny, i was just thinking about that. for instance, "push it", salt n pepa... instantly reminds me of a dance i went to in the 8th grade. LOL....

great post.

4:43 AM  
Blogger TiffJ said...

I love Kiss of Life. It's one of my favorite Sade songs. I love Sade. I remember when I first saw the video for "Love is Stronger Than Pride" ... Sade was frolicking in the sand, rolling down some hill in a red, off the shoulder dress.
I think this was the first time I developed a crush on another woman.
She rocks.

Anything by Sweetback (Sade's band)
is good to groove to.

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home