5.10.2005

Reasons why I am an Icon (but go unrecognized due to lack of national exposure).


I wear my sunglasses because of the residual effects of the glow...crack wise and you will kiss my converse.


I am an icon. Not because I said so but because it is a fact. I do have an ego but that has nothing to do with this (maybe a little). In addition to my icon status, for a nominal fee I can make anyone an icon within a 30 day time period (Offer only good in local areas no national notoriety is implied no refunds are available if your personal actions should ruin your status.)

Clothing

  • Trendsetting - Perhaps you have noticed how Seersucker has taken off in the last couple of years? Well I started that. Don't believe me I don't care. Back in 2002 I was considering fashion trends and what had not been brought back and it hit me. Seersucker! The Mark Twain look is the shit! I even told a co-worker so that someone would know. I started making my purchases and about 8 months later it was on. Jcrew, GAP, Banana Republic and other stores began stocking en masse. I knew it was the move when I saw elders rocking the Seer once again. I started that, me.
  • Blazers and Suits - Months before Kanye West dropped and the respectable look became fashion. I was contemplating my advancing age. I thought "You know I need to reflect this in my gear". Plus being that I perform as a Hip Hop artist I wanted to differentiate myself from others. On top of that I have a Rat Pack fixation so I thought suits and sportcoats! I bought a flask to I don't show that off as much. Then Kanye dropped, now even the little thugged out dudes around my way will pop up with sport coats on. Dammit.
  • Shades - I have touched on this but I wear my shades all the time. Technically my eyes bothered by flourescent/unnatural light and I do get headaches. But, honestly it just seems cool. Plus when people get bothered by it and I remain calm it pushes my zen points through the roof.
  • Cufflinks - My whole beef with this is that while dudes are rocking french cuffs, they are keeping the fake joints in the cuffs. Buy some real Cufflinks son, that's half the point of the shirt! My other beef is after I started flexing mine I hear about Usher showing off his diamond studded chumpies. Mine are cooler because they're individual.
Attitude

  • In one word, Zen. Nothing pushes you up as much as staying cool in every situation. My main philosophy...feel no way. Not that I am an emotionless prick, but I don't let me feeling about a particular situation dictate my reaction.
  • I'm a fun loving, easy going guy. Adored by animals and small children. I am the type of guy that your mother wants you to be friends with and or date. I spread cheer, buy beers and tip well.

Artisitic Tastes

  • I can know the words to "The Message" by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five as well as "Flash's Theme" by Queen (from Flash Gordon the Movie).
  • The three C.D.'s getting the most rotation by me are: A song that includes me, My man Ogun's joint, and the new Green Day.
  • I know who Jean Michel Basquiat and Rembrandt are.
  • I can make a definitive argument why Rock and Roll is not "white boy music" using Chuck Berry and Jimi Hendrix. I own X-Men and Spiderman comics in additon to the Count of Monte Cristo and the Collected works of William Shakespeare.

Celebrity

  • I was named after two famous Jazz Musicians (Rahsaan Roland Kirk and Amhad Jamal).
  • I may only claim a few friends but I have over 300 associates and am known by more people than I care to be.
  • I set it off on a whim. The first to dance at several occasions(except for line dancing - I abstain on principle). I actually considered having a business where me and my peoples would come to your party and get everyone worked up into a dancing frenzy for a nominal fee. We did for free for years anyway. I have set it off in every state I have been to.
  • I have had people drop my name...while talking to me.
  • Free entrance into social events. I used to do things to get into events for free but in recent times have gotten on to lists because I had stopped coming for months at a time. Call it a social strike. Also I never get into arguments with an unfamiliar doorman about the fact that I should be on the list. Nothing looks more stupid than someone yelling, "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AM!?!?! Drop your doe and get it back from the person who has authority that ACTUALLY knows you. I also big up the person who made me pay so they have no sour feelings about the situation.
  • I have become more known for not saying anything than for actually talking. Over a thousand people at Morgan recognize me because I only offered cordial greetings and chilled in the back round.
  • I am one of two brothers who are probably the only men in existence to record a song about breast feeding.
  • Hosts, Bouncers, and Doormen know me well.
  • I can (honestly) name drop: KRS One, Common, The Last Poets, Biz Markie (twice), The Cold Crush Brothers, Niam Akbar, and more but I don't (Whoops - I just did, didn't I).

Now that I have stated my case, this is my plan to make you an icon as well.

  1. Introductions to Hosts, Bouncers and Bartenders and Doormen. If these people know you than everyone else assumes that they should too. Plus getting in free wins you points. Networking baby!
  2. Exercise a talent. Poetry is popular, Singing...is natural, Hip-hop will work. If you can't do any of these I am willing to ghostwrite...for a nominal fee.
  3. For Gents: get to know the ladies without being "associated" with one that is constantly present. For Ladies: Dudes will be checking you out anyway just don't get "associated" with the wrong ones.
  4. A regular regimen of BBC, The Daily Show, ESPN, and various internet news sources. Agiility in any conversation is a must.
  5. Be fashionable on your own terms. Basic rule if you see two random people wearing something, don't buy it. Make people go look for what you have on and then stop wearing it.
  6. Spout random odd facts...I can't say why this will help but due to my inner geek and the fact that I sometimes don't pay attention to what's being said I do this and I think people just consider me as trying to be profound.
  7. Do a Silent Bob. The less you say the more most people try to fill the void with words. You find out a lot and it make people feel like you're listening to them. Plus when you speak people will listen and even when you say something mundane it seems deep.
  8. Watch and listen to all things non-mainstream...when folks bring things up and you can reference it it makes them feel connected to you.
  9. Know the person on the top and the bottom. I call this the people's champ. Some people know the President of the University, some know the janitor. He who knows both shall rule.
  10. Do something or take a stance that everyone may not like. It will set you apart and not caring what other people think will bring respect. Basically you stuck with what you felt. Just don't pick the wrong thing. I can prepare a list of topics...for a nominal fee.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mala said...

I was attempting to read your blog and become one with your ideas but it got kind of hard because I have the attention span of a gnat... that and the colors were making my eyes bleed. I'm sort of a 'tard but it's cool that you wear your sunglasses because of the afterglow... but do you wear them at night to spy on your girlfriend? Ok, ok, don't say it. Didn't I warn you I was a 'tard?

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home