5.19.2005

Golden Oldies?


Will we be Hip-Hop-smoothed-out-on-the-R&B-tip-with-a-geritol-feel-appeal-t0-it?


My co-worker is older than me so she usually rocks an adult station on her radio. I fully support this cause if I had to hear 92Q I'd kill four people. As I'm listening I hear songs that are from my mothers generation and before, but I also hear alot of Prince, New Edition and basically songs that are from my time. This has lead me to wonder, what will the oldies stations be when I'm over 45? I assumed that I'd be rocking (in my chair) to old New Edition and Early Rakim or Jodeci...I think you feel me. I'm expecting those songs that I knew throughout my school years. The more I listen a fear has began to build in me. I have a deep paranoia that I'll end up listening to the radio music that keeps me using my C.D. player in the car. Here are some songs that have to be on my oldies station(*) and songs that shouldn't make it(x).


Jodeci - Come and talk to me - I remember this summer as the summer of the digits. Dudes were jumping out of cars at red lights gettin numbers. This song has made some babies. *

Sisqo- The Thong Song - I can't have my grandchildren associate this song with me. (side note two of my friends from high school used to throw pretzels at Sisqo when he worked at the Fudgery - that is a story I'm willing to tell my grandchildren). x

Soul II Soul - Back to Life - Even to this day when the a capella intro to this is played me and the whole room start clapping and instantly break out into dance when the beat drops. I might not be able to dance at that time but so what.*

Lil Jon - Get Low - All I can think of is Chris Rock. "Where'd you meet mommy?", "Oh she was in a club singing about balls."x

Mint Condition - Pretty Brown Eyes - Quit breaking my heart? Of course this has to be played. Classic joint.*

R. Kelly - 12 play and on - I may be cutting out some good songs but I can't have my grandchildren associate my with songs like - "You remind me of my Jeep" and "Trapped in the Closet". It ain't happening. x

R.Kelly and Public Announcement - Any song - Slow Dance, Dedicated and so forth I can take these joints. *

Michael Jackson - Blood on the Dance Floor to Present - I may allow Butterflies but the rest is a down hill journey. Plus I know the result of the trial will come up when you hear Mike in 20 years. x

Micheal Jackson - Dangerous and Before - Dangerous isn't that full of an album but I'll take it cause of Remember the time. *

C&C Music Factory - Gonna make you Sweat - I will not be associated with M.C. Freedom. x

Ralph Tresvant/B.B.D./Johnny Gill/Bobby Brown - A lot of good songs plus the New Edition Transfer. Must haves. *

Kriss Kross - anything - Hell no. If the grand children find out I will deny this. x

Hi-Five - The Kissing Game - Yet another school boy crush song. I have to take this. *

Paula Abdul - Anything - I plead the fifth. I think she was on some show grandson. I can't remember. x

En Vogue - Everything - I used to have a crush on Dawn from En Vogue! I miss ya'll. Dawn baby, I loved the Lucy Pearl joint, give me a call. *

Vanilla Ice - anything (did he have more than one song?) - Look kids we all go through crazy times in life, I mean I never liked him. He is associated with my generation. Gather around and I'll tell you about what Suge Knight did to him!!! x

What's a song ya'll need to hear and what will you cringe at?

7 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

I'd like to deny wrecks'n effects. all i wanna do is a zoom zoom zoom in ya poom poom. ummm no!

got to hear oran 'juice' jones with the rain

11:38 AM  
Blogger YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

All-time baby makin' song? Adore (Prince). I may cringe a bit if my kids or grankids knew that I thought LisaLisa, Cult Jam & Full Force were the shiznit. How can I explain that I had a crush on a man who wore a lace bandana and a gheri curl?

12:37 PM  
Blogger Breez said...

You REALLY took me back with that. You Send Me Swingin by Mint Condition is still a must have in my collection. However, I will categorically deny that I ever had any parts of New Kids on the Block...

http://intro2breez.blogspot.com

3:56 PM  
Blogger TiffJ said...

"Can You Fell The Beat" by Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam
"Do I Do"& "Master Blaster (Jammin)" by Stevie Wonder
"Pito: I'll Never Go Back to Georgia" by Joe Cuba
"Hypnotized" by Biggie
"Sugar" by System of the Down
"Days Go By" by Dirty Vegas
"Roxanne" by the Police...
All these songs I can listen to on repeat.

"In da Club" by 50 cent, "Rock Steady" by those twins, any lil John song, "Missing You" by P.Diddly be DAMNED!

4:36 PM  
Blogger TiffJ said...

That's can you "FEEL" the beat by Lisa Lisa... sorry.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

crunk music. i will tell my grandchildren i was in a coma when that ignorant stuff came out.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I would need to hear some Zapp ("Computer Love" and the "More Bounce to the Ounce" song). I would also need to hear Guy's "Groove Me" or "I Like". i would cringe at the Bobby Brown. It was OK back in the day, but I can't condone anything from a crackhead.

ooh, Cherelle and Alexander O'Neill, didn't they do "saturday Love" together? I loved that back in the day. And I do miss Donnie Simpson very much (that's a D.C. radio thing).

2:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home