4.12.2005

Do you know the Muffin Man?

One of my various claims to fame was as a Muffin Man. If you went to Morgan you know the Muffin Men. Some people tried to call us the Hot Dog men but the classic people know the real name. We used to set up on Hillen Road and sell muffins, hot dogs, juices, candy, and various other things. The most important factor was as chill/information spot. At that time in my life my friends would call me and I could give them information on 30 events happening in 3 or 4 different states. I was plugged in. Now my consistant answer when people ask me what's going on is - I dunno. The other thing about the Muffin Men of my era was picking up girls. Now for those who don't know it can become hard to meet women at Morgan. If a girl leaves the dorms, by the time she hits the other side of campus so many guys have tried to talk to her it's hard to even say hello without her throwing up her defenses. Well the Muffin Men had a slight edge in this war. We were disarming, a bunch of charming young guys (salesmen at that) who kept the spot live, even in the winter. The rep was that we were killing half of the female population of Morgan...which I can't say is a lie. I can say I wasn't. I never talked to any girl at Morgan while I was a Muffin Man. The funny thing is it built a rep up for me. So many people for morgan live here now or were from here that people who can't identify me any other way remember the "quiet one". The bad thing is I can't take advantage of this rep without destroying it. The quiet guy can't go on rampages, running through women on the scene. It's the kind of rep that I can just feel good about. When someone doubts my integrity I can just say to myself, Morgan people know. I do not miss the money mind you but I do miss the feeling of being a part of something. I was the one that knew what was going on. During that time I knew the guy who wrote all of the Lyrics for the MTV remake of Carmen (the Hip-Hopera). I knew alot of people who were into things, not that I don't know anyone now but then I was a fixture somewhere. Here I'm the fixture that people want things from. No one brings me information. I have been considering my employment options and my Group Home thing seems like the move but now I want to be able to travel so I know I need someone trustworthy that I can leave in charge of things. In every job including my Muffin Man stint I have been reliable. I am always the good child ( I need to do a post on the good child syndrom). The Muffin era was not a good time fiscally but I did have fun. I enjoyed working with everyone I was with and I was in a fun enviroment. This is what I need again. I've looked for some positions but I realize I need to hit my network, word of mouth jobs rock.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home