4.11.2005

Eastcoast Depression

I have formulated a theory. Now that my travels have taken me across the country and I have seen the way various people live, rowhomes build tension. I'm saying this because I live in Baltimore but if you notice most east coast cities (especially those with alot of violence and issues) have some form of rowhouses. It's not so down south or out west. Everyone has a little more space around them. Rowhomes make your house into an apartment. Inside, you hear all your neighbors issues. Out front, you neighbors are chillin' on the steps - with their issues. Out back, hello again - neighbors here. When I was little I used to climb out of my window onto the roof of our kitchen (I love roofs) and guess what... neighbors in the alley. You can't escape. You have to get up and flee all residential areas to get away from people. That's why I love parks. Even if people are around you just have to take a few steps to make them vanish. I think that the negative energy amongst people in such a small area builds up and causes a change in everyone. I'm reminded of those movies in the suburbs where everyone has problems and no one really knows. Rowhomes don't offer that privacy. If the couple next door argues, you know. If the old man next door drinks too much, you know. There is no secrecy or privacy. If you are like myself you become rumor. I don't know the people in the neighborhood I live in now, one or two maybe but not well. So I am "that guy with the dreads that lives in the corner house". I go to work and come home, I leave out and come back. You may catch me cutting my grass but that's about it. Along time ago I learned what just "chilling" around the way can bring and the trouble it can get you in. Even if you don't do anything you're loitering in the eyes of the police. Trouble. I never liked apartments and have never lived in one since I was three years old. I don't like the idea of people beside below and/or above you. It seems though that I still can't escape that scenario. In addition to my theory I was greeted by the sight of a FAMILY on my couch. I say family because there was a husband, a wife and two children. I don't know any of them. It's not a good feeling to find a strange family sleeping on your couch. This will require some dialog when I return home. I should hope they won't be there on my return. Never the less I have made up my mind to begin searching tax lien/forclosed homes. I will purchase and quietly move. Perhaps 3 people will be given my address, not sure yet. I may have neglected to mention this is the communal living aspect of rowhomes. It's just that here you live together and everyone acts like they own things individually. I REALLY miss the west coast right now. I need space. My own. I'm trying not to be furious that people are staying at MY home right now. I know that is not the way to deal with this situation but patience wears thin. If I moved in with someone and only kicked out enough to cover the cable bill I wouldn't randomly invite people over without some prior conversation. Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean, I came home to this from the calm blue ocean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home