3.28.2005

M.Night

So I watched The Village last night and I dug it. I know it was the least liked movie by M.Night Shyamalan to date but I have a theory about that. I call this the "Kanye West" Theory. See, I have been an Emcee for years. I have never resembled anything you hear on the radio now. Unless Common is getting play, but I digress. I was always more creative and I had too much on my mind to be...shallow. Cat's actually called my Theasaurus Boy cause even at my most simplistic I always used a lot of different words. I have been received by many but there are always those who don't like to feel like you have critiqued them. Kanye West taught me that you can say anything and people will accept if you use "me". He spoke about alot of things that go on in black communities from the perspective of him doing it. This allowed people to accept it because they had to admit to themselves that they do the same thing instead of having it pointed out. I see the Village as the "pointing out parents movie". I remember critic having a problem with Signs because of the way the aliens looked when the aliens themselves were not the real point of the movie. Just as with Unbreakable the dude was a superhero but the point was not so much focusing on him having cool powers but focusing on his other internal things. It kills me to think that M.Night puts out another film and everyone is surprised that there are no monsters. The point was the real monsters are us. The restrictions we impose and the secrets we keep. The way we let fear rule our lives and how we pass it on to our children and even shape their lives with it. We almost always try to justify it by saying we wanted to protect someone. I wrote this in a rhyme once and I think it is relevant here: "Truth in your heart when it gets stuck in your windpipe/Blocked by good intentions so it never see's the daylight/...Leaving things unsaid to spare someone else/Under a guise of kindness you're only sparing yourself"

The Village to me was an example that we always look to something ugly and scary outside of ourselves to hurt us when the worst things come of what we do to ourselves and others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home