9.06.2005

In the Aftermath



"When sorrows come they come not in single spies, but in battalions."
Shakespeare


Over the past few days we have seen all types of pictures of the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. Beyond lost lives and property another thing has been lost. Perspective. The way people view the government, the way the world views America. All of these things will come to affect us in the future. One positive thing to come out of all of this that I hope will remain is the attitude of the media. The media has been very critical and unforgiving towards the government in it's handling of this situation. Wolf Blitzer even mentioned that the majority of the people we are seeing are "so poor and so black". On Real Time with Bill Maher it was mentioned (well alot was mentioned) that money that would have gone directly to helping preparing the Gulf Coast for incidents such as this had been cut. The most profound perspective is that of the rest of the world. Right now America looks weak and impotent. The greatest country in the world unable to properly help it's own...before or after the fact. Hell, atheletes got into the region to help before the government did. On that note, for the uninitiated I just have to mention my utter distrust of the Red Cross. Not to mention that there are several smaller organizations that aren't getting much support...or press. Not only in the direct area but in the cities that some of the evacuees have been shipped to. I hope that more people will start asking critical questions about the lack of proaction and the slow reaction to this situation. I hope that people will consider that the national guard should have been in the country to assist with evacuations beforehand instead of sending people who aren't full-time soldiers into a war. I hope people realize that most of the people who were still in the area and didn't evacuate were too poor to do so. I hope people will not just get through this and after things are rebuilt and consider it a strong moment in our history. I hope that people will learn to look towards the future. Where are we vulnerable? What are we doing in the world that may cause backlash? I hope that people will become involved in their lives on all levels.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

here's another organization that is helping. I am a little prejudiced in their favor.
http://www.adventist.communityservices.org/

But still, all organizations have flaws. That's the risk we take when we allow others to help on our behalf.

6:05 PM  
Blogger Luke Cage said...

There is truly no joy right about now man. I'm suffering from Katrina overload. It's sapped me of my writing and my mojo. It just hurts down right to the soul and to the core. So much anger and frustration, so much death and pain. Loss and uncertainty. No one should have to experience that. No American, no human being, no one. That Shakespeare quote pretty much sums it up dawg...

10:10 PM  
Blogger Jdid said...

well said

10:10 AM  
Blogger Laylah Queen of the Night said...

Well said, indeed. Lets keep our heads up. Focus our energies in aiding legit relief efforts in the south. Stay strong bloggers!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Felicite said...

More people need to know about the Red Cross (I didnt).

12:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

its bugged. you would think that in this tragic event folks would act right. But they don't...
the audacity of folks is amazing.

I never believed in the devil but i see that folks can be one.

but you right. the rebuilding is going to be tough

12:39 PM  
Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Great post. Yeah, the silver lining, if there is one, is that our media finally obtained some testicles and started to ask tough questions.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Black Wombmyn Chat said...

>I hope that people will become involved in their lives on all levels.

I agree.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

It's time for folks to wake up Amadeo. I just pray this isn't "the more things change, the more they stay the same." The goverment still has a lot to prove to me, as do the media and the organizations poised to offer support.

We still have so much work to do.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Arlyah said...

If only there was more that we could do. I live in germany, so I feel even more helpless. I can't offer my home to anyone. I also think its bullshit that people offering us aid are being turned down or unanswered. We obviously screwed up in the whole helping ourselves bit.

4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home