8.30.2005

Tainted Love



"The higher up, the Berry tree the sweeter grow the berries, the more you hug and kiss the girl, the more she wants to marry."

Ahh yes due to the overwhelming response of the last post, I figured that even more deserving of it's post than me giving my aunt the finger on Christmas eve would be Valentines. The day that makes more people question their self worth than any other. The day that is Stereo Surround sound for loneliness. In my life, if I leave out those elementary school valentines, I have celebrated and been with someone ONCE (Uno, for valentines...and we broke up a few months later. If you think valentines sucks try being a hopeless romantic on such a day. I would watch dudes give the same old gifts over and over. Despite my wonderful ideas, I never had the chance to put them into action. While I'm speaking of the same old let me go into some history of Valentines. You may wonder what the pic above has to do with this holiday...so glad you asked.


This little fellow is THE poster boy for shotgun weddings. If shotgun weddings were a file on your computer cupid is the appropriate icon. First of all I'll state the turning of angels into babies is a load because they were they messengers of GOD. That's like turning the burning bush into a honeysuckle. It just doesn't pack the same punch. So why is it appropriate for cupid to be a baby. Because in the day there was no "Child Support Enforcement" and it would bring shame on a family to have an unwed mother. Cupid is basically like saying you got got punk! In a shotgun wedding the father usually wields the tool until the tie is bound. Cupid represented the pregnancy that would force a young couple to marry. His arrow is like the shotgun pointing at the man who has been targeted and put into an "actionable" position. Cupid is old school child support! I'm sure that behind him is the angry father with his hand on the hilt of a sword, eager to discuss the nuptials. Keeping this in mind he seems like a bad icon for a holiday based on love. "You gon' buy them roses punk!"

Suffice it to say that at this point in time Valentines means nothing to me. Holidays may have their own meaning, but to us they are built off of our memories. So if your old man gave you the business end of a lit cigarette for X-mas every year than it would make sense that it's not a popular day for you. I had taken to the mantra of making everyday Valentines, however, that was just a denial of the fact that I usually wouldn't be with someone on that day. I actually used to take bets with myself to see what would happen to end a relationship I had going before valentines. I have broken up with people within days of valentines. Now it's at the point that if I am with someone and they celebrate the day I'll have to make conscious reminders to myself to do something. I already know that I will not (NOT) buy any roses, but thats a personal issue between me and roses. Also I can't stand helium ballons, unless I can suck out the Helium and talk to people, especially answering phones. My thing is I love to give gifts, but I want it to be something that when people see it they know I gave that gift. I love to get people the thing they love but can't find. I once went to a street fair with a girlfriend and she remarked how she love this certain ring. We went to her place and I promptly made an excuse ran out and put some money down on that joint. I can't remember how much time passed before I gave it to her, but she remembered it...and thanked me well. I have bought my mother movies that she loved but couldn't find or think of on DVD. I got her a native american looking anger in Mexico and it stands out among her collection. I hate giving a gift that anyone would have given. Which is why I often scowl at young lovers in the hallmark section on St. V's. No my lad get some parchment and write a poem or a note or re-rewrite someone elses poem. Here's a quote for you,"To love and be loved is to feel the sun from both sides." see that was easy. Much better than roses are red and violets are blue. So to bring this to a close here is an excerpt from a joint I wrote which I think is fitting to the topic.

"Muscles tense he released and caught me
Cupid marked me, he shot me and scarred me
with a lethal hit and the pleasure of it
was like a warm death and I couldn't resist
But time brings change, nothing stays the same
as the arrow was removed pleasure became pain..."

Happy Valentines!!!!

9 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

you definetly are a romantic at heart

12:34 PM  
Blogger Aquatic Muse said...

My heart aches everytime I "meet" a cynical romantic...or a romantic realist. My ventricles are crying for you. LOL

No, but for real...I am glad to see that there are people who exist who rely on romantic instinct as oppossed to commercial pressures when it comes to gift giving. Your passion is refreshing.

Thank you.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Luke Cage said...

Great post. U Never cease to amaze me dawg. And on another note, as I so stated in my last post to you, Valentines means absolutely NADA to me and the wifey. I don't knock anyone who celebrates it as a sweethearts day, but where exactly does it fall in the importance of other dates? Anniversaries, birthdays, Christmas, etc.

I don't even think it counts. But I may be in the minority. So many jilted and sad folk were all over blogland last February. I was surprised. I really didn't know that many people were into it like that. But for the hopeless romantic like myself, everyday should be Valentine's Day as long as you've got that special someone. Now, that's what's up.

P.S. Been meaning to tell you man. I watched Harold and Kumar go to White Castle recently, hilarious dude. Simply side splitting humor. Kudos on recommending it. I told the wifey, my dawg Amadeo suggested this awhile back!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Msnhim said...

A man whose romantic... I thought that was about as real as a unicorn. Its nice to know I was wrong. Cool post!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Diva (in Demand) said...

How you just gon start off dogging cupid and then end with romance and mush. LOL

Too much for words...

4:09 PM  
Blogger Felicite said...

Where where you when I needed you?

Maybe this coming valentine we can have a Q&A because I am not romantic but would love to steal ideas from one who is?

4:46 PM  
Blogger brooklyn babe said...

Damn Deep. You hit me with some new knowledge there.... never looked at that spin on Cupid. Nyce.
I don't care for any commercial holiday, but I do like bdays. As my guy put it, everyday is your earth day.... true indeed.

8:03 PM  
Blogger Black Wombmyn Chat said...

Tell me about it. In thirty-five years, I can almost count on ONE hand, the times I've been in love AND in a relationship (one must not fuck up and consider the two mutually exclusive now) on Valentine's Day.

It must be karmic.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Amadeo...thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home