9.13.2005

Les Enfants Terribles



"Children may or may not be blessing, but to create them and then fail them was surely a damnation"

Lois McMaster Bujold, "Barrayar", 1991


The above image is from City of God, basically showing a younger boy being initiated into the "gang". What you don't see are the two people he has infront of him, of which he has to shoot one. Those two were children, one his age the other younger. It's those children that I want to talk about. While drugs were being sold and a gang war was going on there was a group of young children who were basically living lawless. Raiding stores, robbing people and commiting any type of crime that they could. I have found a variation of them in the blocks surrounding my job. Two of them are the younger cousins of some of my clients. In regards to their family they are the ones everyone is waiting to see killed or arrested. The mother of those two (she has a total of 4 children) had a nervous breakdown not long ago. The situation is not unique and this is the problem. I see these boys all the time when they should be in school. I hear from their cousins and a friend of mine in the area their exploits. A rash of cars broken into. Homes broken into (a brand new Glock stolen from one), grown men beat down. All I can think is these are the children of the 90's. Families who don't know what to do with them. Schools that can't wait until they turn 16 so they can be dropped from roll. Cops building cases so the first time they are caught for a crime of circumstance they can be charged as adults and sent away. I have already posed the question what will the children of double aught buck be like ('00 don't mind my old miner terminology). I'm not sure I want to find out. I myself walk a thin line with these boys. I see them enough that we speak, but I don't trust them and would be willing to lay one out if it came to it. That's not really even my style, however, with each passing year it's not the rawness of young people that increase - it's the number of young people who are raw. I knew someone like them growing up, I didn't know 10...not until late middle/early high school. I used Les enfants terribles not because of the play or movie but from a video game. In Metal Gear Solid the phrase was coined from two clones produced from a great soldier who were taught to be the best. I wonder if in a sense it isn't almost the same type of situation. These cats are more advanced in several ways. They are willing to do more and have been through more than most people I knew coming up. They have less fear and less support. More people are willing to accept that they will be killed or go to jail. I can't help but believe that we are creating these "enfants terribles". They are in the proper environment to grow up into criminals and killers. They will probably end up having children as well, children who will be a step ahead in the same game. As we ponder our progress I see more regression. What's sad is that though I work in a field that's created to "help them", none of them are old enough for me to do anything for them. I have to wait a year for the oldest and 4 for the youngest. I can't help but think what difference a year will make.

13 Comments:

Blogger Black Wombmyn Chat said...

Yeah, it's pretty sad and scary because it is getting worse. The Black teenage pregancy rate is still skyrocketing and because this is now at least the third generation of such, it is no longer an abberration--it is
considered acceptable and normal.

In the inner city Cleveland area, it is absolutely ridiculous. In the hallways of the high school where I taught, you were likely to see more distended bellies than not. (I don't know if this is due to sheer numbers or the fact that they are just more noticable)

And naturally, these fatherless babies are in for it. One of my pregnant (at 15) former students said very emphatically, "I hope I don't have a boy. I dont want no boy. Boys are stupid."

Not good.

1:01 PM  
Blogger G. Cornelius said...

*shaking head*
I'll keep you posted

2:06 PM  
Blogger Felicite said...

Yes City of God was a very powerful movie.

Everyone is thinking, damn those ghettos of Brazil (or wherever) are out of control. Sad that it is right here.

I hope you do make a difference in at least one.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Clay said...

damn - great post - i still havent seen City of God -- i have to get it!

5:34 PM  
Blogger Dayrell said...

I love your blog. Keep writing A! *smile*

6:44 PM  
Blogger DramaFree said...

Great post. Very thought provoking. Today's youth scare the hell out of me. Most of the time, I feel helpless...what can we really do (besides raise our own kids the right way) when our society only encourages this unacceptable behavior??

10:52 PM  
Blogger Genesis said...

city of god was that crack. im gonna have to read the rest of the blog. i just saw the picture and had to post. -1-

12:03 AM  
Blogger Luke Cage said...

City of God was one incredible, heartbreaking flick. Although the U.S. has ghettos where kids are forced to survive in much the same way, some other American locales have kids who merely emulate their peers and only seek to be down.

While for some it's a way of life and one done strictly for survival, there are plenty that simply choose the life.Beloved touched lightly on the aspects of young kids saying things out of their mouths without regard to who's around.

Some of these young cats are merely carbon copies of that mentality times 10! Here's a thought: Better to Reign in Hell than Serve in Heaven Alot of them feel that way man. Good post.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

City of God was the hardest thing I've watched in some time. Ironic my sister and I were JUST talking about that very scene last week. She's watched it many times. I just can't go there again. I don't know what the future holds, but these days Amadeo - I'm running out of hope quickly. And it's not their fault...it's ours. Collectively, each generation does more damage for the next. We're just imploding on ourselves, truly. *sighs*

12:38 AM  
Blogger lilmzbabygrl said...

I have a total of 8 neices and nephews ranging in age from 15 to 6. 3 of them by blood, 5 by marriage. They are growing up in the inner city, being "educated" in the Greater Cleveland Public School System. And I am so scared for them. The school system in horribly overcrowded, so actual education is not happening. Their role models are entities that give off a persona that is anything but ideal. They idolize the dope dealers and hustlers in the neighborhood instead of their hardworking father/step-father (my brother) or any other hardowrking person they see day to day. They are hopeless.

My 15 year old nephew is now serving 6 months in a detention center because instead of going to school, he decided it was better for him to raise hell, sell drugs, and disrespect his family. We tried everything from interventions, mediations, to basically kicking his ass... nothing helped. He is determined to go down the road of self destruction. He's the oldest. There are 3 more boys under him (13, 12, and 9) and I fear that they will follow his lead.

My neices are another problem... the teenage pregnancy rate is astronomical, like MidLife said. And I don't want that or them... but what can you do? The environment they grow up in perpetuates and accepts the behavior, so the children growing up in it see this BS as normal.

I'm sorry, this is long as hell. but this post touched me because there are so many kids, just in my family, that I love and I worry about them.

8:53 AM  
Blogger winterssoulstyce said...

definitely want to see city of god now. i might have seen it but i can't remember flicks for the life of me.

i agree wholeheartedly with every one, especially eyeneye with this whole overmedication bit. it's crazy.

as this world moves faster and everyone loses their patience, everyone wants a quick fix to an age old problem -- adolescent angst. why not prescribe that xanax or seroquel if it will shut them up? this line of thinking is jacked, to say the least.

what's worse is that now people never leave their adolescent years and are 30 year old teenagers, because the world took away their childhoods when they were 12. it's crazy.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Jdid said...

pretty sad state of affairs and the system is set up where you cant even hlp if you wanted to. that sucks

2:41 PM  
Blogger TiffJ said...

I saw this movie...
and it took me a long time to get the image of THAT particular scene out of my head.
What made it so chilling was how young these kids were and how this existence is true for those iving in the favelas of Rio de Janeiro... and the fact that this movie is based on a true story.

In my city, the violence in one particular area (most of which involve young people) is disturbing.
The police force do nothing more that stand around with their thumbs up their asses, fanning the flames of their bigotry and/or corrupt selves.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home