1.28.2005

Civil Disobedience

I am a trouble maker. I have conducted more protests in various forms in my 26 years than many people ever will. This is partially because I have a strong sense of justice, it's mostly because of inner asshole gets a kick out of making people in positions of authority uncomfortable. In my high school years I was one of a few cats that had locks. This was back when people with locks would all speak to each other on the street. Now I speak to these young cats and they wanna mug me down. Any way this group (run by my old english teacher) published this newsletter and one of the sections had something on hairstyles. They listed dreadlocks and put in parenthesis (badboys/girls). So naturally I had to approach the culprits explaining the various spiritual and philosophical reasons behind dreadlocks and demand that they either retract the statment or allow me to print a retort. The newsletter was never published again. My problem is most people don't care enough to go through the procedure so in that case it was fun to denounce such uninformed heathens, but I really wanted to write a retort and was dissapointed when I couldn't. More recently, the job I currently hold used to take a long time to pay people. I don't mean like a month turnaround. I had to borrow money from my mother for almost two months. We used to get paid via the state and if a particular person was on vacation you would have to wait for them to come back, sign off and then complete your payroll information. So after I've been working for a few months I finally go my first training with a group of new hires. I'm watching them borrow money and bring bag lunches for weeks. Finally they start breaking. Now I'm getting paid and going out for my lunch but once again a combination of my inner asshole and my sense of justice has me suggest a walk-out. The only person in the room getting a paycheck leads a walk out of the training. I convinced 25 other people to not go to class and demand that some one from B.C.C.C.s administrative offices (the state agency that held the funds and paid the front line staff) come let us know (really them) what the deal was. So eventually they send down the vice-president to calm the situation and make some provisions to get paychecks moving. As a result the liason for our staff at B.C.C.C. resigned. She resigned after a crying fit about how she was up all night concerned over how they had yet to be paid. I would feel bad about her resigning but it was a ridiculous situation No one should work more than a week and a half after having already turned in the needed info prior to starting the job. My current project involves my job, lack of funding, community elders and and a stubborn ignorant Executive director named Ernest Dorsey. I love to start shit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home