1.19.2005

Sensitivity & Marvel Comics

I am sensitive. Not meaning that I can't take criticism or harsh words, I have been known to shed the occasional tear at the movies though. If you've ever seen the movie D.A.R.Y.L. about the boy with the micro-processor in his brain. Well at the end of the movie everyone thinks he died and his best friend and the family are mourning on their way out the door and Daryl comes running around the corner and my whole family would stare at me and wait for me to burst into tears. This is when I was younger than 10. My wit wasn't developed so I just had to yell for people to leave me alone. Well recently 2 movies have made me misty one being Antoine Fisher - which I have no problem with, especially because I don't know my father anything about not knowing family gets me. The other one is...Spiderman 2. It may sound...well I'm not sure how it sounds. I will note that I have a long history the Marvel comics characters. I must also testify that comics are not garbage. Most of the Marvel titles I read dealt with complex issues and were also some of the first times in life I had to go to the dictionary to look up words. Anyway, I'm watching Spiderman 2 and it comes to the scene where he saves the train, passes out and almost falls off. The people pick him up and lift him onto the train lay him out in the aisle. People are commenting like " he's a kid, no older than my son" then he wakes and two children bring his mask and say they won't tell anyone. Right here I start misting up. Now it was touching but I did not expect that type of reaction from myself. I have (especially since I moved out of my mothers house) identified with Spiderman. I mean this guy saves lives all day. He's even saved the entire city several times and people still manage to hate him. On the other hand he can't keep a job and is always late to class. He's late paying rent all the time. He worries about his elderly aunt and has had a crush on the same girl since childhood. Most of all the only job he can keep constantly runs front page headlines bashing the side of him that is purely good. I actually identify more with the broke aspects of Peter Parker. I could also admit that I misted up a little at X-men 2 when Jean Gray died, but I read X-men more and I also know what happens after that (death #1). Spidey rocks and I consider him the mascot for all broke college students, starving artists and other financially embarrassed people with potential. I did not think I would ever get emotional over him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home