6.30.2005

Last Man Standing



I'll miss my friend.....

Today sucks for me. Along with half of our staff, my man Wendell's last day is today. On the work tip it sucks because my caseload is about to be crazy large without having the support I used to. On another tip like Red in Shawshank Redemption...I'll miss my friend. Though he's two years younger than me, Wendell is the oldest man I know. If you want to see a true Ravens fan he is it. This is the type of cat that you can tell was raised well. He always says those appropriate things for a given situation. "Sorry to hear about your loss", "You just can't give up." Whatever it is Wendell comes through like he's 50 years old to express his sentiments. When he isn't here I have to up my level of jokes on co-workers just so I don't lose my mind throughout the day. He's my only real competition in the football pool and my source of a good story every monday morning. This is a cat that sounds like John Witherspoon when he talks about the ladies, "Cutie pie". Lover of women with extra meat on their bones, my daily update on the NFL, and all around good guy. It sucks cause we actually went to training together for this job, in and out of state. I remember holding him down for lunch when they were screwing up his pay...a story he always brings up whenever someone questions my character in any way. Wendell is a good guy. I find it hard to focus on my increased workload and the fact that I am now the only man in the building thinking about missing dude. He actually was a client at one time who came up through our apprentice program and worked his way to being a valued member of the team. He was the example for clients. I'm young, but he was a member and that meant something to my clients. No more old man noises, no one to break down why THIS is the year for the Ravens and how our backfield of almost all pro-bowlers will run things. This is the longest either of us has been at a job (4 years) so this is the longest I've worked with a person. I'm sure he'll be cool and we'll keep in touch but knowing he won't be there to receive my next comment sucks. I don't want to work "for" anyone after this so it would have been nice to end out with him. He moves on and I have no "male" support. Doesn't sound like much, but there is a large difference when you are the only man in an office. The conversation is different as well as the perspective. So my fine friends raise your glasses to my friend.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

you're the only guy left? oh no!

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would suck.

But W sounds like a smashing work friend. Everyone needs to have at least one, or otherwise I am sure, we would all end up like those nasty gossipy, friendless co-workers i point and whisper at.

11:51 AM  
Blogger Luke Cage said...

Here Here to Wendell man. Sounds like a class act and a fitting tribute to him. Not having no male support would drive me out of my mind man. Stay strong aight?

1:54 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

*raising my glass to Good King Wendell*

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home