7.05.2005

Cruisin'



For the Record...

I'm just checking blogs and surfing in general and I have to ask...Why do people hate Tom Cruise right now? I peeped the couching jumping episode and I know he opened himself up to some criticisim and...just plain getting joked (c'mon Maverick that was some silly shit and if you had boys they probably joking you too). However, alot of people really don't like his opinion of psychiatry and that would make me wonder...but then I realize we are a country that loves our pills. We love the thought of popping something down and having it take care of our problems. I'm sorry but fuck them pills. I know people are depressed but I'm sure 75%(at least) need a kick in the ass as oppossed to a pill. I'm depressed...it happens a lot and it makes me get up and do something. Now I understand some people are beyond a pep talk (I'm related to one) but we have commercials on T.V. about anti-depressants. That shyt ain't right. People who are REALLY depressed and need medication are the ones who won't see that commercial and say, "Hmmm, maybe I should ask my doctor about that." The people who do this are soccer moms and "progressive thinking" metrosexuals and what not. I know I'm biased as I won't even take Aspirin, but the rule is this...If I go to someone and say hey I may want to try this drug...he's a drug dealer. Medicine Men and Voo Doo priests don't take suggestions so doctors shouldn't either. Doctors should say (Did I mention I don't like doctors either?): This is what the problem is this is what we can do, here's your pill. Doctors shouldn't be pulling up menus, "The blue pills are nice, but the red ones go with your outfit." Don't make me start on the side effects of these joints. Another rule. If there are more side effects to a medicine than symptoms of the condition - you don't need it. If I have gas I don't want something that will get rid of it but cause sexual side effects, uncontrollable bowel movements and make my dog go blind. I'm just saying, I'm just saying...

P.S.

Tom Cruise, C'mon son tone it down a little bit. That girl younger than me you can't be all pumped and shyt. Chill out, roll with your little hottie and be cool.

P.P.S.

That jumping on the couch shyt with Oprah...men should intervene on behalf of you and the dude that wants to marry the runaway bride. Cut it out, both of you. Leave that type of stuff for Dr. Phil (who even though I don't like him thinks you should cut shorty loose...at least he said he would have problems with her). Doing stuff like that on Oprah is like bursting into tears in front of your girlfriends father and her 10 brothers...you can't come out of that looking good. Well...I did find this, it's about the best thing to come out of you being on Oprah.

7 Comments:

Blogger emeralda said...

oh cool i am the first here. hehe.
1. welcome in da club. i don't take aspirin either. the only pills I take are those who prevent me from becoming pregnant ;-) and those who help me if I get the worst cramps you can imagine when having my special days. thats all.

you were saying your mind could use some sedatives in my blog. nope. i guess it s been a joke. you are dope like that and i am happy to know that there are more people out there who think that pills suck most of the time. not always, but yes, more than necessary. and lets not start talking about ritalin. it freaks me out how it is abused. it freaks me out how our society treats symptons all the times rather than causes. just take 9/11 and you see that macro and microcosmos always resemble......

hm

hm...

5:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am SO sick of Tom Cruise right now. Whatever. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. And their choice of girlfriend.

6:11 PM  
Blogger Luke Cage said...

I kinda wondered what Cruise had done to become enemy #1 myself, but I don't keep up with the Hollywood smut machine either. Saw War of the Worlds and it kicked azz, and that's about as much as I want to know about Tom and his babe.

As for pills. Well, I am sooo paranoid about what i consume that I will sit through hours absorbing a headache just to avoid them-lol Drives the wifey nuts. However, like Nikki mentioned, there are some folks out there who are unfortunately dependent on those things man. I just hope that my day never comes when I have to be.

6:34 PM  
Blogger tristessa said...

Tom Cruise has irked the hell out of me and here's why: Reading about the history of psychiatry and a few medical journals does not make you an expert. What he is doing is irresponsible. He has a huge public platform, it's beyond just voicing an opinion.

I don't disagree that people abuse medications, but why are those using psychiatric medications put on blast? Especially since a lot of people, particularly in the Black community, are too ashamed to seek any sort of assistance for mental health issues. The negativity doesn't help. I would rather see someone on an anti-depressant than smoking crack or drinking a 40. I could give a shit what the soccer moms of America are doing.

I didn't seek treatment for my depression for about 16 years because I thought I could handle it. I just needed to think positive. And I have 8 years in the health food industry under my belt, so don't talk to me about alternative medicine, been there done that. I let it go until I had a constant loop in my head saying that suicide is the only solution. Don't tell me there's no such thing as a chemical imbalance. Biochemical or not, there was something biologically wrong with me. Now I'm sure that my childhood history played a role, but there was something else going on. Fortunately, I have responsible caregivers who recognized that medication alone was not enough. Medication however, cleared my head enough to actually listen to a therapist and medication got me out of bed long enough to exercise and eat right and all the other stuff I knew I should be doing, but couldn't physically do at the time. Fortunately, I'm intelligent enough to do my own research and make an educated decision. For me, the risk of suicide far outweighed any side effects of the medication.

It is way too easy for people who haven't been there and don't know what they are talking about to weigh in on this issue. How many of you out there know someone who blew their brains out and took some family members with them because they were depressed or couldn't handle a relationship ending or just didn't know how to cope.

Fuck Tom Cruise and all the Scientology backing him. When he spends some volunteer time in a clinic, I'll listen to his opinions. Until then he needs to shut up.

Sorry, I hijacked here, but this needed to be said.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

For the sake of clarity...I don't think no one needs medication...I have family members with issues...I'm just not with the mass-medication of American society.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Dee said...

hey hey hey
now I don't know a thing about Cruise. Don't got a tv so I miss a lot of stuff and consider myself lucky. But what's this about the image? Seems like you are against men showing any kind of vulnerability. To me, one couch was okay, but not three.

Philosophically I don't really support the age difference situation but she's my age if I remember correctly and I would talk to a man that age.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Jdid said...

i get depressed too and folks are like why dont you go to the doctor and get some meds, oh hell no, them shits will f you up, leave you all zombie like an ish. no star , it naa go so. I think alot of this has to deal with folks looking for a quick fix and running fro problems. life's hard aint no quick fixes , no taking the blue pill to wake up less aggravated more docile b.s. deal with your issues, talk with some friends, gt some counselling or just plain suck it up and deal with it. forget that medication thing. and yes the sideeffects will kill you. dude here killed himself last year after they upped his anti-depression meds. aint that a trip.

12:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home