7.15.2005

The Line up

Since Christopher Williams and Al B. Sure...the light skinned man has not been in, at least that's what I'm told. I was one of the cat's when people started saying, "The Blacker the Berry the Sweeter the Juice", I was in the back mumbling "My juice sweet too." That being said, every cat that achieves some fame who is not darkskinned and has locks is the person I am compared to at the moment. Here is the line-up of famous (to one degree or another)people I am contstantly told I remind people of.




Damien Marley
This is just the representative, to the general populace I have at one time or another been compared to whatever son of Bob Marley people could name. Hell when I was in Mexico they were calling me Bob Marley. Years compared: 1997 - Present




John Forte
While I didn't mind this comparison as much (his verse on "Cowboys" was sweet)....his solo album not so much. Years compared: 1997 to 2001




Lil' Jon
So this one is the most recent comparison, enhanced by the fact that I wear my shades alot but I never really thought about it until...

One evening upon returning from a festival in D.C. it's almost 2 in the morning and have ended the last day of a seven day bath (Akan ritual). Suffice it to say there's some fasting involved during the seven days and even when you can eat you can't have sugar or salt and that cut's out alot of things. When I did eat I basially had unsalted peanuts, eggs and oranges. So this was the last day and I can now eat. I'm riding from the eastside to my house on the west and because of the time nothing is really open. So while passing Loyola I realize there's a Royal Farms a block down and they have...some kind of "food". I stop in and as I walk to the back to get something to drink I hear someone say, "Yeah!" I thought it was unusual but I was hungry and thirsty so I keep moving. As I'm looking through the beverages I hear, "What?!". I don't know if Lil' Jon and Dave Chappelle were wiped totally from my mind or something but it just didn't register with me. I mean I hadn't really had any food in a couple of days give me a break. So every few minutes I hear one or the other, "What?!, Yeah!". Finally I order my (crappy) fried chicken and move to the checkout when another "Yeah!" comes from the backround. Just then I look down at the reflective glass infront of me and it hit's me...Lil' Jon. They think I look like Lil' Jon. I almost snapped to a degree cause I hate that instant lightskinned-locks association, but plus cause I mean hell I looked like this before he ever came out. I actually went through a whole debate about the situation in my mind as I grilled down one of the offenders. Years compared: 2004 - Present.

At work, in the streets, I'm destined to be compared to X-lightskinned-dude-with-locks. The worst part of all is I look at these dudes and I don't think I look like any of them...at all...in the least.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jdid said...

i used to and still get compared to dudes that i dont think i look like. i mean granted apparently these are good looking guys or so i've been told but stack my photo next to theirs and i dont see the resemblence at all

12:00 PM  
Blogger Luke Cage said...

Little known fact about Cage, I had baby locks for about 4 months many years ago before I got the clean dome look I sport today. And for some reason, folks were saying, you know what? You remind me of someone, but I just can't remember who. I got that from several people who didn't know eachother at all, but referenced the same mentality. Strange huh? Funny about the Lil Jon comparison dawg.

12:00 PM  
Blogger TiffJ said...

Um,
John Forte... maybe...
but Lil John, I think NOT!
I notice that when you're Black and decide to have your hair in some natural form or another... you get wickedly compared to other people who look nothing like you... go figure. I get it sometimes too... as does my best friend, Cat. She is quite thin and looks NOTHING like Macy Gray whatsoever... but once someone had the nerve to compare her to Macy, because at the time,her natural was big. People suck at this game.
Screw 'em, and don't take it personally... but Lil Jon???

3:50 PM  
Blogger G. Cornelius said...

WHAT! OKAY!
LMAO...I'll keep you posted

3:49 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Hey you.

I think I must be the only person on the planet that both liked and purchased John Forte's cd. Yes there was some stuff on there that I wasn't vibing with, but mostly, I thought it was a really clever deviation from the standard in hip hop offerings.

As for the looking alike thing, I think it's a "thing." People just love to do it. I've been told I looked like Cree Summer...then I was told I looked like Kelis (during her "Milkshake" release these were very AGGRAVATING times). Just something people do to pass the time. I think...

11:27 AM  
Blogger emeralda said...

they say i look exactly like my sister and it just shows how stupid people are. how little they pay actual attention to how you really look like. it s like they put a shade on you, a veil, with the association of their choice printed on it....

when I had locks (eeh and i am VERY light skinned compared to you i guess teehee) I was stopped EVERY single time I crossed the border to Switzerland, to look for Marihuana. Logic: she has dreads. she must have marihuana.

people.....

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home