7.07.2005

Lost Arts



Is your name Yemaya? Oh hell nah, it's got to be Oshun...

Before I begin this semi-rant/request/plead, I will say that most men will not deserve this. Most men will not know what to do with it and think women are stuck up. Forget them, focus in on the deserving ones...besides the rest will learn to love it.

What's my beef. What could I possibly be going on about (again). It's the ladies, not all of them but a large number of them. Not the ladies themselves but the presentation. I remember watching movies and actresses would have these lines and give these looks that make a man say, "God Damned, that's a woman." They wouldn't show a lot of cleavage or skin in general but their mannerisms made you want to get that woman. They made you want to make them succumb to you, it seemed like a challenge to win their interest. Not even wealth and power alone could win their fancy. Now I realize that these were movies, but I have seen some examples of this in life and I would like to request that the women who still carry themselves as such please pass on your skills to those in your vicinity. As of late when a woman has had interest in me the presentation has kind of been like, "I'm a woman in this mug, come holla."

Case in point: I'm chilling out at a First Thursday event...wonderful music, I get to initiate dancing and women are all around. I'm talking with two of my peoples and I notice this sista checking the scene. I notify my comrades that someone is getting looks. They check out the situation and clarify that it's me. So I'm checking the horizon and the sista approaches. She knows one of the guys I'm with and starts whispering in his ear. He starts giving me eyes like, "Yo you need to rap to her." I instantly lose all interest. Tell your man to holla at me. Tell your man to holla at me. For real she could have turned to me and asked if I thought the sky would be green tomorrow and a conversation would have sparked. "Tell your man to holla at me" just took me back in time to the school cafeteria and it left my interest there. She was making more progress throwing glances. That sense of potential interest was much more alluring than, "Tell your man to holla at me." I've had this happen several times in the last few years, "Tell your man to holla at me." Hell nah, that's about as subtle as hitting me in the face with a hammer. You might as well jump up on the table lift your skirt and shout,"Come and get it." Perhaps I'm blowing it out of proportion, but I appreciate those subtle things. In regards to male/female relations that's the type of game I like to play...it allows me to have to be creative in my approach. Is she checking me out, if not can I still say something that will make her fight to not break out into a smile that expose all 32 pearls? Yet another instance. I'm doing home visits for work and since it's in the area (and gas is ridiculous) I decide to walk. I'm rolling with the black suit, white shirt, black and sliver cuff links and bright red tie, check it. I'm doing it. As I walk down the street I peep the eyes in cars as they pass by and then I hear this lady yell, "Damn baby you sexy wus yo name?!?! Ruined my day. That was not (here comes the snob) sexy. My name is unimportant, it's where I'm going - the hell away from you. I mean that shyt ain't cool when dudes do it. It's ten times less so when a woman does it. These may seem tame, that's because I can't even bring myself to type how the younger sistas come off at me...scary.

You know what I liked, that drop the hanky thing. A lady sees a gent of interest and drops her hanky, which provides him a chance to be gentlemanly and return it also opening an for conversation. Let's play around a little bit. Sometimes I feel like many women have lost all sense of seduction and allure. What happened to the enchanting eyes and suggestive looks. Now I keep getting ass in a styrofoam container. I want the mystique back. Advance and withdraw or something. Make me be more clever than asking what your name is. I think more women should spend time reading about Oshun with Dorothy Dandridge movies and Sade playing in the backround. Imagine if young girls went from Lil' Kim to Carmen (without the whole destroying a man's life thing). I just want some mystery again. I consider it the difference between daisy dukes and a sundress. Daisy Dukes leave absolutley nothing to the imagination, a sundress only clings to the form briefly. Leave something to my imagination...give me something to chase. So if you ladies that have it will work with the rest and create a manual or a DVD for the younger ones then I'll work on the menfolk, deal?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice red tie.

Behind me right now, there is a man yelling at a woman in my office, to "just give him something -- anything!"

Irony. I love it.

11:50 AM  
Blogger Jdid said...

good post but have you considered that its well actually i cant which came first but the ladies cant act that way unless the gys act a certain way to. so i dont know whose behavior changed from that mystique type ish first but now its just all about getting the drawers to drop and hollaring at a shortie for the guys and the girls rather than be told they're bitches or teases are playing right along. but like i said cant really blame dudes cause i dont know whose behavior changed first and whose was in response

12:15 PM  
Blogger editor said...

Interesting...

Nice writing.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Luke Cage said...

Jdid makes a good point. Somewhere along the line, something got screwed up and some folks have now assumed that "this" is the way its done now. From music, to life, even movies, it's who can get what as fast as you can. Do you think that women or men want to put in time in the trenches and say a little meaningful something like; (gasp!)HI.

Don't get me wrong. I loved your entire post, but somewhere along the line, someone did it like that "tell your man (or your girl) to holla at me" and it worked. What they were looking for, they got. And as far as some of them are concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. They're going to continue to use this method like it's the holy grail. Loved "that drop the hanky thing" line. Classy man.

2:03 PM  
Blogger SexyCool said...

so...now i gotta go out and buy hankies???

3:08 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

"Now I keep getting ass in a styrofoam container".
Love that. Brilliant. In their defense I must say--these techniques work for these women. They can't get you with those lines, but you are not who they are looking for.

Women of substance are few and far between. 'Ain't that a shame. But then, men of substance--"Where have all the soldiers gone?"

3:09 PM  
Blogger emeralda said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:42 PM  
Blogger emeralda said...

i loved that.
and i can tell you, a woman has to learn that. best thing would be mothers told them how to in a way they wouldn't rebell to it. more importantly however i think mothers should teach their sons how to behave.

and as i said, we have to learn that it is possible. and i can tell you from my own experience that two (btw, not that it d matter but for me it s somehow significant, they were both black) men taught me to be the princess/queen i am. it s such a great accomplishment in a way.

personally i always hated the blunt way..when boys asked me whether i d go out with them i said always but i d rather take the bike. instead of going you know ;-). i also trust more in the vibe thing. and as i am pointing out in my blog currently, a guy just stole my heart who was NOT trying to hit on me in that club. there was a good distance to let this energy emerge and actually move between us. hnever touched me greedily at unappropriate parts or tried to kiss whenever there was a possibility. the play was the deal. and then the mindsex. the talking. the respect. the glances. the unsaid.

great. i miss that a lot in many guys i know

7:44 PM  
Blogger Breez said...

You nailed it. "Ass in a styrofoam container." It couldn't be any more complete. I believe the great philosopher Dave Chappelle said that if p**** was a stock, the value would be plummetting because the market is flooded. I shudder for my son and what he's going to be facing.

As far as who's to blame...it's everybody's fault, but I guess it starts with the parents.

10:41 AM  
Blogger TiffJ said...

Great post, and I agree wholeheartedly.
I sort of touch upon not being respected as a woman, and how this girl I used to hang with acted like a blatant floozy.
check it out!

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home