7.13.2005

I really miss...that!?!?!?


It's amazing when I look back at what I miss...Ohla ohla...

If you have bust your ass trying to jump over your leg raise your hand. If you have broken down in a party and started doing the dance from House Party, raise your hand. If at one time you had a high top fade and wished it was as tall as Kid's raise your hand. I had to keep my hand up for all of these. In the spectrum of Hip-Hop Kid 'N Play may not be the greatest Emcees of all time, but they represent something important to me. They are part of that time where the guy who could danced wasn't considered a punk. The time when everyone tried to dance at least a little. It wasn't all good as dudes still had beef with each other and fights broke out, but people were more concerned with having fun than looking tough - in general. I think about all of this because I caught one of their flicks the other day. Despite the movies they had we all know that the first "House Party" is the one. I realize that these two helped to launch alot of peoples careers or at least bring them into the spotlight (Robin Harris, the entire cast of Martin, etc.). I remember remarking to someone a few years back that Method and Redman were the first cats in years who had bothered to just be funny in their songs and videos. The difference is they had already established street cred first. I went on to say that I don't think that anyone could achieve fame if they came out with a Kid 'N Play type of act today. What trips me out even more is that alot of "hardcore" cats KNOW that they watched and liked House Party and tried those dances. Not only that they were in clubs doing the Roger Rabbit, the Running Man and whole other slew of dances. I may be a glutton for punishment looking back at this time as people are so "hard" now...for instance I remember being in a club and this cat is standing in the middle of the dance floor. I'm looking at him, cause hell we're all dancing, when my man steps on his shoe or something. Dude gets pissed and I notice another friend of mine observing the situation. Dude is mad (which was stupid cause standing in the middle of the dance floor is no way to protect your kicks) and my friends are mugging him down and still dancing. After about 10 seconds they actually get into the same rhythm, heads moving together while staring this dude down. I thought that's what I'm saying keep on dancing. It made me want to start chanting the roof is on fire! That's the time I loved, when people knew that they would have to go work or school or something so they just wanted to enjoy that time at a party as much as possible. Yes, people were trying to get some ass and yes there were fights. However, now it's more of the latter two. "I'm going to look hard and talk shit." I remember when people knew they weren't hard, but they could dance...so they did. I will forever call this the Kid 'N Play era. Kid 'N Play never filled my need for depth or intricate thought. They did help to round things out. I wouldn't have as much of a problem with alot of things that I hear if I didn't hear it all the time from everyone. I loved when some cat's always talked about partying, some cat's were dropping knowledge and some were hardcore. Since I miss these varied elements, Kid 'N Play have come to help represent that lighthearted party aspect of things. I miss Kid 'N Play....ain't that something.

5 Comments:

Blogger Luke Cage said...

2 tight hip hop oriented posts back to back friend. Very nicely done. This line pretty much summed it all up for me "I wouldn't have as much of a problem with alot of things that I hear if I didn't hear it all the time from everyone." Now, doesn't that just about sum it all up in one sentence man?

7:50 PM  
Blogger Jdid said...

oh man, i watched house party 2 friday night just for the hell of it and i was thinking something along the same lines
thats probably why i go to caribbean parties more these days than hip hop stuff cause at least people dance

8:02 PM  
Blogger sj-the-infamous said...

hand in the air....

partyin' aint't like it used to be...and used to be ain't that far back!

house party is fun to watch. i saw it a couple months back on some random cable channel -- stopped whatever i was doing, sat down and enjoyed the show for what it represented -- good fun, lotsa dancing, hanging with the homies.

miss those uninterrupted days fo' sho!

1:01 AM  
Blogger Breez said...

I am so floating down memory lane right now. I can't pinpoint the time when music stopped being fun. Give me the days when the parties were hot, the clothes were painfully loud (damn near to the point of causing vertigo) and folks were just there to have fun.

10:59 AM  
Blogger emeralda said...

i miss the whole thing. i miss having grown up with these things. i discovered hiphop in its entirety (is there such a word?) for myself when I was 17. Bad luck. But I fell in love with it heads over heels. and i came across STRANGE names discovering it.

i think it is a fucking pitty that as soon as things get to commercialized many people just take advantage. but thats how things go. it s good and it s bad.

what attracted me most and still weighs heavy for me (although currently i am more into latin music and electro) is the fact that the motivational energy behind hiphop is competition in a good sense (correct me if i am wrong) and not about who takes the most crazy drugs as it is the case (unfortunately) in the elcetro scene....

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home