7.21.2005

Reverse Racism



"You have shown me a whole new way."

I have a new favorite movie. If you can't tell from the pic it's Harold and Kumar go to White Castle. Is this the most hilarious movie ever....no. Am I amazed at how side splittingly funny it is...no. Do I laugh...yes.

I'm sure you are wondering, what the hell is the big deal? Why is this my current favorite movie. As I assumed from it's release it's a basic "friends a on mission have wacky things ensue" type of flick. This is the reason I have only just seen it. What I did not notice was the total saturation of ethnic groups and the sterotyping of...white people. I've seen several movies where one or more groups of people are sterotyped, but never have I seen one where the "majority" is the sterotype and a wide spectrum of minorities is represented.

Main characters: A Korean and an Indian guy.

Love interest: A latina.

Other memorable characters: Jewish stoners, Two educated black men, a host of Asians and Indians.

Sterotypical Characters:

White racist cops over excited about performing their duty (especially inreference to black men.

Young white extreme sports nuts and all around jerks.

Neil Patrick Harris - Hollywood actor under influence of drugs who kirks out.

Young white executives partying and leaving their work for the responsible employee.

Young white stoner hippie...need I say more.

Now I would be remiss to mention that Anthony Anderson does play a sterotypical role, but it's not because of race. He is the apathetic fast food worker, gladly willing to tell you not to patronize his place of employment while harboring desires to burn the fucker down. I can't find fault with this because of my dishwashing days. BTW - do NOT eat the rolls at Old Country Buffet! Besides, every person I have known who worked at a fast food place would either tell me don't eat there or give me guidelines for doing so.

I also love how the sterotypical roles of just about all the ethnic groups involved were brought up at one point or another during the film. I can't say this is the best movie of any genre but I am growing to love it. Besides I love to see a film where the main characters are minorities anyway. So enjoy this film via my issues with casting and have a fine time with a retort to all the indian convience store workers, thickly accented asians, ignorant black people, and oy gevaulting jews normally seen in movies.

6 Comments:

Blogger Luke Cage said...

I saw the coming attractions for this awhile back and by virtue of what was in them, I figured there was enough for me to order the flick. But on my Blockbuster online list, I kept pushing it down the line putting off from seeing it. But since it's on the list now, I'll simply let it move up my movie queue and peep the flick. My man Amadeo has spoken.

11:27 AM  
Blogger Jdid said...

yea I thought it would be b.s and someone told me it was funny and lent me the movie. needless to say i was actually impressed. as you said its not the greatest but it was so much better than i imagined it would be (course i had it rated down there as crap wrapped in crap)

2:22 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

Jdid, if you want to see another one that's not as bad as they said, check out Gigli--no lie. I actually liked it.

Will see Harold & Kumar ASAP

2:46 PM  
Blogger TiffJ said...

Yes,
Harold and Kumar is a hilarious movie! hahaha, I thought I was the only one who thought so.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Felicite said...

I love this movie.

Funniest part was when Harold got bit by the racoon and had to go to the hospital and comes out with a band-aid! LOL.


http://myoshee.blogspot.com/2005/07/harold-and-kumar-go-to-white-castle_17.html

12:30 PM  
Blogger Breez said...

That movie is permanently saved in my DVR list (until i stop being a cheap bastard and buy the DVD). And you're absolutely on point regarding the stereotypes.

4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home