8.15.2005

Another Workday Fun Post!



"I'm taking a meeting."

As it grows closer to football season (excuse # 504) I find myself less and less interested in the goings ons of the place that pays my salary. So here are some things I have done in the past to make my work day speed by.

Dishwasher

Old Country Buffet

This was fun, while I recommend that you don't eat there it was safe for me cause I got to know who to trust. Plus my man who got me the job eventually became a cook so we would place special orders...more cheese in the macaroni sir! In order to pass the time at this job we did all of the following:
  • Used our free food privilege to make sundays and shakes with special additives like Kahlua and Bailey's.
  • Indulged in less, how do I say it...oh yeah - legal activities when taking out trash.
  • Spray the girls who worked the floor with our hose.
  • Shut down the equipment to have a battle (lyrically speaking).
  • Stare down customers who came to tell us about a mess their child had made.
Group Home Tutor

SAFE Managment

This job was okay but I didn't like the lack of uniformity about how they dealt with the clients. I always dig working with young cats though. The thing is the oldest residents were 17 and didn't know I was 18. Another thing if you work with inner city youth that hate math...convert it to drugs or dice, muhfukkas can add, subtract, divide and multiply real quick on that note.
  • Apply sleeper hold to the residents (they liked it what can I say?).
  • Show the residents they did not corner the market on insults and snappy comebacks.
  • Ask who did one thing and find out every bad thing that happened all week (snitches!)
  • Let them crack on each other until I got bored with listening.

After School Program Staff

House of Mercy

I loved this job 5 - 10 year olds. All I had to do was help them with their homework and keep them busy. This was one of the most fun jobs I ever had in my life. Plus some of the teachers at the school where I picked them up from were fine so I enjoyed that aspect of the job as well.

  • In the winter I would pull the childrens scully down over the face as I let them in the door. After a month there would be a line of 25 children with their hands clutching their hats as they entered.
  • Dodgeball! Before you think I'm cruddy, I didn't throw it that hard it's just that most of them didn't have the foresight to consider my ricochet skills. If you think I'm mean than I'd like to implicate my accomplice at the time seen here (the taller cat - BTW he steals prom keychains and candy from young people).
  • Wrestling once again. With the girls I just talk to them and get them to do their homework. The boys always wanted to play or just DO something so I'd promise to "L" them out after they finished their homework. The funny thing is they would run off, do their homework, I'd "L" them out, then they' go get their friends and come back like - "Mr. Rahsaan do him too." - "Yeah, do me!" Gotta love the kids.
  • One of my favorite, yet most draining, activities was making children dizzy. Grab them by the ankle and wrist spin them around and around, then put them down and watch them try to keep their balance. I remember this girl named Dawn would always ask me to let her go so she could fly. I explained to her everyday that if I let her go she wouldn't fly - for long anyway. She had too much faith in my ability to believe that. She would try to convince me everyday that if I let go she would fly and that was that. I never did let her go, but I enjoyed the debate.

6 Comments:

Blogger Black Wombmyn Chat said...

LOL. You seem like such a sweet person...Midlife is gonna stop now. I'm getting all gushy.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

How come you're not working with kids now? It seems like those were the best of times where work was concerned.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Diva (in Demand) said...

It sounds like you have a talent when it comes to children (bless their lil ole hearts) and you enjoy it. That's sweet.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Children are the best to work with because they are honest in their speech and mannerisms.

And because they still believe that they can fly.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Jdid said...

one of my friends is working with some 5 year olds this summer and he cant wait to get out that joint, but he's like 17 so i guess kids are an acquired taste

7:49 AM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

@ God's Child, Simplydiva and Oliviasmommi...working with little children is fun but, the pay is only good when you don't have a lot of bills...it's hella fun though,

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home