8.03.2005

Just an Example



"From the master or for office niggas is sick of running..."
Talib Kweli


Since he just got out of a halfway house here's a rant about my man and the law....

Jamal Lewis is my man...not because I'm a Ravens fan. Not because he's gone over the 2000 yard mark or set the single game record. Not even because his first name is my middle name (it means beauty BTW). But because he is the perfect example of a charge that scoops up lots of black males...Conspiracy to (fill in the blank). Before I get into the ramifications of the charge itself, as a Ravens Fan and a black man that was some bullshit. Hit a brother with a 4 year old charge for basically saying "yeah" on a cell phone...anyway. A conspiracy charge itself requires the least proof of any form of charge. There don't have to be written documents or a lot of physical evidence. Best believe that most of the people reading this could get caught up in some kind of conspiracy charge. This is ever present in my mind as I work with young people and some of them hustle. This type of charge really only has to show that you had the means and possible intention to commit a crime. In his case it's crap because the crime didn't actually happen (four years ago) and because the "witness" was in jail...if you from the hood you know what it means when the witness is in jail...someone wants their sentence shortened. These two factors already piss me off, then I would hear people talking about how if he wasn't rich or famous he would already be in jail...hey stupid if he wasn't rich or famous they wouldn't have brought the charges up 4 years later...notice it was right after he earned the rushing title. Anyway...I know people who were legitimate criminals and because they couldn't be caught with enough evidence to put them away for their crimes they were hit with (drumroll please)...consipiracy charges. It's like hitting gangsters with Tax evasion except you don't have to have any money. Then (I usually get pissed when I hear about public opinion) people are saying that he shouldn't have plead guilty if he didn't do anything. Obviously these folks have never heard of "Cop or rock". Basically you cop a plea or face the full penalty that can be imposed if found guilty. I actually have a client that took an attempted murder charge (something he didn't do) the difference was he sat in jail for over a year waiting to have a trial (postponed 4 times) and was told that if he plead guilty he would get out in three months...so he plead guilty. My issue with Lewis' charge is that it was acknowledged that no drug deal ever went down! He was charged with trying to help his friend set up a drug deal...for years ago. If they pursued these types of charges on every level I would be in jail for 500 counts of conspiracy to commit assault. I don't understand the rationale of putting a person in jail for "almost" commiting a crime. Then of course they add on all types of other charges; using a cell phone to set up a drug deal and blah, blah, blah...just like my aforementioned client who they not only hit with attempted murder but also shooting a handgun in the city, possession of a handgun, and about 5 other charges. It was like they had a handful of darts and just threw them all at once like something was bound to stick. The real thing is that alot of people without his financial resources or support system (he is a cash cow) get hit with these types of charges all the time...some are doing things, some are just in the position to get hit with them. They don't have the money to fignt the charges or a lawyer who can work out a good deal. I'm happy that the brother is out and that he'll be running all over your favorite team this year. Conspiracy charges suck.

7 Comments:

Blogger Luke Cage said...

As a football fan I can't stand the Ravens and moreso Billick. Ever since they spanked my Giants in the Superbowl several years ago, my Baltimore brethren have not relented from reminding me either of that one way paste job.-lol I will admit though that Lewis and Lewis are beasts in their respective positions.

As a brotha, I'm with you man. What kind of a charge is that??? The man didn't even lay hands or distribute one gram of said drugs, that wasn't sold in the first place. I mean, really. That man shouldn't have gone to prison for a transaction that never occurred. Damn, sounds like a segment from the movie Minority Report.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now as a die hard fan of the AFC northern division wining Pittsburgh Steelers, Im gonna have to disagree with you on gp.
If Lewis had anything to do with a drug transaction why shouldnt he catch a charge. And you actin like he got 20yrs and cant play football nomo. I mean they let the nigga play out his football season and conveniently allowed him to serve a couple months during the off season. How much home cooking should a man get? Now I tend to agree that a conspiracy charge leaves alot of room for some shady bullshit in the system, but considering the drug problem we have and all the niggas dying as a result, I dont necessarily think its a bad idea to be a little more stiff with the prosecution of crimes related to drugs. Thats just my opinion i could be wrong.

12:22 AM  
Blogger G. Cornelius said...

Okay if you know J Lew back in his UT days it wouldn't surprise you...He was knee deep in it back then and everybody knew it...But it does happen alot with brothas...But that nigga aint innocent at all! And I'll keep you posted

4:35 AM  
Blogger summer of sam said...

i mean, i see why you're upset, but i guess i'm just like, even though he had to go jail, he didn't have to spend that much time there. he still gets to play football; he still has a career.

i mean, there are too many black males (and females) in jail right now doing way harsher sentences for some uber bullisht just because they didn't have the funds to fight the racist justice system.

8:38 AM  
Blogger Amadeo said...

@ L.C.- Your post about the S.S. movies actually made me think of this.

@M de SOB - my point is that even in the charge it's mentioned the transaction didn't happen.

@Honestly most cats I know that do go to jail don't go for the worse things they've done.

@Summer M. - Anytime in jail on a wack charge is wrong.

@Gunner - Exactly

10:39 AM  
Blogger Dayrell said...

Nice post A. Well I agree and disagree with you. I agree that conspiracy charges are indeed a b*tch, and are porportional almost to swallowing acid. And especially (as you mentioned) if the person being charged does not have the funds to incorporate. However, I think Lewis' punishment was a walk in the park compared to most.

But I feel you man. Being charged for conspiracy for so-called inspiring a drug deal that basically didnt take place is basically, pure and utter BS. But you shouldn't be surprised, as I'm not, the judical is just f*cked like that.

1:09 PM  
Blogger POPS said...

i'm not a fan of conspiracy charges of anyone being caught up in the system, but i also realy really am not a fan of anyone caught up in the game. some cats are truly innocent, whereas others really are on the grind and if they was completely clean in the first place they wouldn't have to worry about no conspiracy charges. word.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home