8.02.2005

Shut up!




"You're lips are moving, but I don't know what you're saying."

Here are some things that I am tired of hearing. They are just stupid comments, questions or things of the like that I feel when said should entitle people with the right to physically assault the speaker, enjoy!

When homeless people ask for change why do people tell them to "get-a-job". I know people who don't stink, aren't dirty and have a phone number and address who have trouble finding work. If the same guy walked into their establishment these people would not hire them. Stop saying that. Try something original like "go to a soup kitchen", or just be rude and say "Fuck off". Something that makes sense. Think of it this way even sweat shops go hire immigrants instead of rounding up homeless people.

Commercials using the wrong songs...I mentioned once before about how they used 16 - tons for a coal intiative commercial. I remember when Wrangler had a commercial showing all these American flags and they play the opening lines of "Fortunate Son" by Creedance Clearwater Revival...
Some folks are born made to wave the flag
,ooh, they're red, white and blue.
And when the band plays "Hail To The Chief",oh,
they point the cannon at you, Lord,

What they fail to play are the next lines...
It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no senator's son,
It ain't me, it ain't me,
I ain't no fortunate one, no

Stop using these songs for the wrong damn themes...if you have to write a jingle or something.

At my job we help young people find employment, ages 16 - 21 (and up really). The executive director keeps griping about why these young people can't hold jobs longer than 12 and 18 months. Why...they're young...I used to quit jobs on principle at that age. I, at more than one job have either been at lunch or at a desk and realized I didn't want to work there anymore. If I was at lunch I wouldn't go back and if I was at my desk I would get up and leave. I've done the Harlem Nights move to a job, "Yeah, I ain't never coming in to work no more, take it easy." I think the problem is most of them aren't even 20 and they don't have bills to pay...a tragic syndrome of youth (enjoy kids!).

Did you buy anything in Mexico? This statement is asked at several borders, replacing Mexico with whatever country, but no one ever tells. Most people only go to buy things and no one starts admitting at the border. Yes officer I have several cigars, some tequila and a mexican immigrant in my trunk, no it's right next to the weed and the coke...from what I saw alot of californians almost don't answer the question. This is one that should be greeted with a long..."hey stupid" kind of stare.

On the D.L. is pissing me off recently, see this is what happens when uninformed older/white people hear a phrase and run with it. D.L. or down low meant you are sneaking...how it strictly means that a black man is having a gay affair behind his wifes back is beyond me but it pisses me off. I can't listen to the song from the Pharcydes first album anymore, I can't say it and thats hard. I came up through the 80's but I got my speech patterns in the 90's On the Down Low is part of that and they took it away...I don't think dude was trying to re-coin the phrase when he wrote his book either.

I've covered hatin' in an earlier post...but to re-emphasize I "HATE" the phrase, yes I'm a hater...Piss off you stupid blighter (english accent)!

Is ______ There? No even though you called their cell phone they are not here as a matter of fact you're imagining this whole conversation. I actually have started telling people who ask me this, "No I'm not here, do you want to leave a message for me?" If you know the person, know that you have their cell number...why call with unsurety..for real if you're not the person why are you on the phone attempting to engage in a dialog?

"Do ya'll mind..." I do a lot of open mics and I hate when people ask the crowd is it all right or do they mind if they do something...even when I want crowd participation I'll pick someone I know get them to do whatever it is and suggest that the crowd join in (people don't perform well under pressure). I have an urge the next time someone says one of these phrases to stand up and yell, "Hell yeah I mind!" If I ever see someone follow my urge they'll be my new best friend.

10 Comments:

Blogger Dee said...

it's still okay to say "on the dl". But don't take my word for it. I still say "Word up!".

11:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The best example of somone using a song for the wrong reasons is when Reagan used Springsteen's Born in the USA for his 1984 campaign. I thought it was a patriotic thing too, but I was eight and had limitations on my understanding of song lyrics. Apparently, Reagan did too, because Springsteen has said that that song was meant as a satire of patriotism.

10:22 AM  
Blogger Luke Cage said...

Yes officer I have several cigars, some tequila and a mexican immigrant in my trunk, no it's right next to the weed and the coke & the On the D.L. is pissing me off recently vernacular has been forced to change. Just the way it is now dawg, unfortunately.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Felicite said...

>I hate it when people ask me if my sister and I are twins..."

LOL! Fine then, I wont ever say it again. Nor will I be startled when I see a dwarf (that must annoy them too?).

2:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so agree with you about the homeless person thing. Getting a job is not that easy, especially if you are homeless and do not have the means to clean up, buy new clothes for an interview, and for that matter, print off a resume. Rahh! Thank you!

3:22 PM  
Blogger Black Wombmyn Chat said...

I am angry at Snoop Dogg for starting that "izzle" shit. He sounded retarded.
But, of course, now, I CANNOT stop saying "On the rizzle" and fucking "izzling" everything!
CAN'T.. STIZZLE.. NEED.. HIZZLE..!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

You know you're taking me down a slippery slope, please...don't make me go there. Nice play on the Truck commercial by the way. **RPM**

4:33 PM  
Blogger emeralda said...

the commercial thing would actually be really funny if I didn't know that many people buy that shit. Too many just take it and swallow it and even don't know what its all about.

homeless. oh yeah. my aunt has been homeless for over 20 years. on and off. and hell, it s DIFFICULT to get out of there. and yes, homeless people don't have weekends, vacations or whatever, but only ondragging minutes or the period of stretching time until they have begged for enough money for the next bottle. but i ve just recently met a cool homeless dude who lives that way on purpose but he isn'T alcoholic and totally bright minded and knows a hell lot about everything. totally impressing.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Dayrell said...

You are SO on point with this. LOL. I like this post. Man, the cell phone thing came right on time.

Well you know what I hate...I hate it when someone calls your house phone or personal cell and says "Hi. Who is this??" LOL! It bothers the hell out of me! LOL.

But although I know how much it irritates me, I'll just calmly say: "Umm, well, didn't you call me, so, WHO IS THIS??!" ...lol.

1:17 PM  
Blogger TiffJ said...

If a homeless person asks for money, "No, sorry"... said with a brisk tone and then moving on works just as well. No need to be rude, unless they take some sort of intimidating stance towards you or try to cuss you out.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home