2.25.2005

My Main Squeeze

We are not getting along at the moment but Hip-Hop is my baby. I have been unfaithful to her spending most of my time with variations of Rock, Jazz and R&B. I loved her so much when I was younger, I didn't like everything about her but I could accept it. Now I can't take most of it. I know what has happened and it's a direct reflection of society. But I'm a little dissappointed in Hip-Hop because it's an art form and art should be better. Hip-Hop is older than me and it doesn't act like it. Perhaps I'm jaded because I'm an artist, but if I wasn't I wouldn't be able to listen to all of the crap that's out there. As an artist I'm offended that business has corrupted my art like so many others. It's just the way it corrupted it. I remember when you wouldn't dare sound like another Emcee. Now more people get signed because they do sound like someone else. Business and art don't mix. I wonder now what will happen to those family scenes where people sit around singing and playing instruments. Now everyone who does something is looking for a deal. The general nature of what art is suffers when you put it into a "product" perspective. One of the best love songs of all time (For all we know - Beach Boys) doesn't start all lovey dovey. Bertrolt Brecht said - Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to shape it. Following industry standards doesn't shape anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home