9.30.2005

The mother of invention



"I'm financially embarassed at the moment"

I'm broke...not meaning I have no money, I'm responsible adult broke. Basically I have money and all of it has to go somewhere. I remember being little and seeing my mother with money I'd ask her for some and she'd say it wasn't actually her money, it belonged to bill collectors and they just hadn't got it yet. I understand now. I am familiar with that feeling of how much money you'll really get on payday. Luckily due to hook-ups and the like I can not only survive, but still have fun during this time. This is a guy who (pre-bills) was unemployed for a whole summer and kept the same $40 in my pocket. I still managed to have ridiculous fun though. I left town, went to clubs, drank and lived it up and it wasn't until the end of august that I even broke a twenty. I know how to live it up while poor. I will say that as the responsibilities of adulthood loom over me more it's sometimes harder. I don't for instance need to blow $50 at a club, but the things I want do cost more these days. It's always at times like this that I think back to my last few luxury purchases and hang my head in regret. Not for long, however, I figure if I had the money now I'd probably spend on something I wanted anyway. I'm the type of person who doesn't enjoy having money as much as spending it. It feels good to have a knot in my pocket, but that's because I'm thinking of the things I can blow it on. Just like I'm only really good at saving money when I have something in mind to eventually spend it on. At times like this I start running down the unread books and doorman hook ups I have. Plus I'm running on Sunday and then it's football so that will kill some time. I find that during any period of broke pockets the most important thing is to get through as fast as you can. I cook some of my best meals when I'm broke. I believe that all presidential candidates should have to live for two months without money...rather any substantial money. The world would be a better place. So off I go to have fun with minimum funds.

13 Comments:

Blogger emeralda said...

i am worse, even worse, i spend the bill-collecter's money, damn.
and i trust in whatever, that everything will work out just fine somehow.
now i sit here, with no money at all and no job and no enthusiasm to do some crazy shit to get money and enjoy, um, life.
and yeah, even worse, even if have sth that i want badly i can't save money. i just can't
i spend and if i don't have any i don't spend.
and, yeah, invent.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Dee said...

yeah, I'm broke too. I got my pay check yesterday and all of it, I repeat, all of it, is already promised to my various creditors. I need to cut spending somewhere.

1:27 PM  
Blogger winterssoulstyce said...

you know what is weird? i buy all the shit i want first, and then pay my bill collectors. and it always works...i don't know how, but it does...

3:18 PM  
Blogger Luke Cage said...

Part of my rebuilding me project several years ago was addressing my wildness in spending habits. I too would buy what I wanted first (luxury items) and then go about paying my creditors afterward only to find out there was nada left or them.

So there goes my credit taking another hit. Being married and being more in control of my finances have both worked in conjunction with eachother. Neither will allow me to slip or fall back into the abyss again. I know that feeling you're going thru all too well though dawg...

4:40 PM  
Blogger kathi said...

It's hard being torn in so many directions when every way requires funds. But, at least you have the money to pay the bills, and that's a real blessing.
Good post.

5:44 PM  
Blogger feels good b n FREE said...

since having children, this has pretty much been my plight.
Keeping the neccesities up are most important.

Considering this, I may have to *gasp* miss a nail appointment or an eyebrow waxing...but I know this too will pass. Or so I hope.

I remind myself that it could be worse. oh and i too make the best meals when i'm broke. my mind works overtime! my kids think i'm a gourmet chef..lol

oh and ps...my blog IS POPULAR! (lol) if it ain't it's gon' b. (smile)

smooches!!

6:13 PM  
Blogger brooklyn babe said...

Humble pockets call for humble times, its great when there's "two" and ya'll both broke, you find so much ways to be inventive, the meaning of "sharing" takes on a whole new meaning, as they say "broke loving the best..." I once heard a poet say....
So enjoy it while it last..... lol

Okay take the mirror off of me now, you know U wrote this post about me!

1:22 AM  
Blogger Chele said...

The one thing you ain't gon do is be without. Falling on hard times just makes you appreciate what you have all the more. It will work out.

4:19 PM  
Blogger Black Wombmyn Chat said...

Unfortunately, it takes discipline to start seeing some change add up. The absolute worst thing is having a job and still being broke. You literally feel like a slave, caught up in the matrix.
And it is a matrix, don't get it twisted.
I've finally got some discipline about my finances and while to some folks, I might have a pretty spartan existence--I feel a thousand times better not having the weight of debt over my head.

Now instead of constantly focusing on who needs to paid, I can actually think about some schemes to actually build up my wee (smile)nest egg.
Anybody got any (legal) ideas?

1:23 AM  
Blogger Black Wombmyn Chat said...

...my suggestion is that when you continue using those doorman hook-ups and otherwise free events and really think of all the ways you can streamline your expenses.

At least you KNOW how to SAVE A BUCK OR TWO. That's pretty obvious.

Once you get started eliminating all the extras and seeing your savings add up, you will be LOATHE to spend.

Trust me, I'm like an old bitch on social security when it comes to finances. But it's worth it.

1:29 AM  
Blogger Dayrell said...

i feel you amadeo. i'm a big saver, however, being broke is a b*tch. as far as my funds goes, i'm sort of neutral (not broke, but not loaded either..lol). like most women i love to shop...so i think this affects my funds dearly. lol.

3:43 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

...responsible adult broke...Man do I ever hear you. I'm here in London now trying to remember my priorities as lovely high heeled boots dance in my face screaming "purchase me."

10:25 AM  
Blogger Jdid said...

i get mad every pay day. cause i'm broke before payday and i should have some money after it right? wrong. at payday all my money gets divied up on bills and debt and the embarassing amount i have to survive the month just gets me mad upset

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home